Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A brief explanation of the blog title

Again, I've played D&D only a few times, and began this round a few years ago at the prompting of my sons.  Since they were relatively young, I took on the job of DM.  My wife also jumped on board, though she had far less experience or interest in the field than I ever did.   But there we were.  It was their first adventure, in none other than the old Haunted Keep from the Basic Instructions.  Complete with wererat and everything.

One of my pet philosophies is the idea that the whole world is, essentially, a giant dungeon.  The players can go anywhere they wish.  Likewise, where they go may not be where they should.   Within a dungeon's environment, that is also the case.  The presence of a room or monster or mystery does not always mean they should investigate now.  They can come back later when they are more prepared.

Still, it was early in our gaming days, and we were all learning.  I left hints that there was something really, really and I mean really dangerous for their first level party.  They didn't heed the warnings, and came face to face with a wererat they were neither prepared nor equipped to fight.  Because they had no experience, and didn't know the monsters, barely the rules, or anything, they had no clue what they were up against. 

I had shown them a recently killed goblin (which I generically call 'orcs') as one of several warnings.  As they swung and hit and swung and hit, doing no damage and getting frustrated, they began calling out for ideas or thoughts on what to do.  One suggested fire, another suggested running.  Someone suggested throwing a torch.  Still another suggested hand to hand combat.  Finally, my second oldest son blurted out, in reference to the dead goblin, 'throw the orc!' 

We laughed for so long it's been forever etched in my mind.  I was trying to think of some title for the blog, something catchy, something unique, something original.  Instead, I went with what made the game a keeper for us several years ago when we started playing.  They did survive, with some gracious help on my part.  They vow to return someday.  But for now, that's the origins of the blog's title.  For what it's worth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment